Friday, August 15, 2008

Beef, It's What's NOT for dinner

This post is a little insight to my personal self. Friends call me CK, hence the blog name, and they all know I do not consume any beef related food period. I am half a Sikh and I do take ‘not-eating-beef’ a serious affair. It has never been in my diet from birth and I don’t feel the need to put it in now or any other time. A lot of people have their misconceptions to why we, Sikhs do not consume beef. The Sikhs believe that we should not eat meat that are ritually slaughtered and I don’t think there is any philosophy of worshiping the cows has got anything to do with it as Sikhs do not give any animals, any higher status over others. The Hindus however, do not eat meat for a different reason; to say the Hindus worship cows or consider cows holy would not be completely right but, rather, in times when food is scarce it would be shortsighted to kill a cow for food when it can provide milk for many years. It took me years to grasp the idea to why beef was never served at the dinner table and most times friends would say, “CK, you’re missing out on sooo much!”…but really am I? I don’t feel it though. I took some time to think about the food I cannot eat. Here’s the short list and what’s your say?


NO: Nacho melted in beef sauce, Big Mac, Spaghetti Bolognese, Sirloin Steak, Oxtail Soup, Ribs, Sheppards Pie, Lasagnia, Beef Satay, Tapsilog, Cornbeef, Rendang and I think there's many more.

1 comments:

Ranz said...

I wonder what's the other meaning for beef ;)

Post a Comment