Thursday, November 13, 2008

Getting to know my mama's hometown:

Its not the birthplace of my mother but Ipoh, third city of Malaysia, is where mother spent most of her adolescent years. Mom's sister was classmates to Ipoh`s famous citizen, Michelle Yeoh. We all know the actress from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and former Bond girl in Tommorow Never Dies. I headed back to my roots a few months ago to attend a wedding and cousin Joanne took me to a few of the limestone caves. The caves are mostly Buddist temples with an impressive work of art with statues of Lord Buddha interspersed among the natural stalactites and stalagmites. The use of lighting helped a lot in the caves as it gets darker when you climb deeper inside, however made it harder to snap pictures of the karst formations with my mini cybershot. Once you reach the opening of the cave, you can just sit down for hours, do your meditation and enjoy the splendid panoramic view.

0 comments:

Post a Comment