Thursday, November 6, 2008

Soul Searching

Pap and I took the 4WD down to the northern side of Malaysia on the island of Borneo which is easily accessible by road from Brunei Darussalam. It has been yonks since I’ve last been to Miri. It took us longer than expected to get to where we were heading. The slippery road and damned weather condition were not only the reasons slowing us down but the roads from Tutong , Seria and Kuala Belait were shielded by men and women in uniform awaiting for the arrival of Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla at the helicopter base of Seven Flight. FYI, I’ve got the hots for Prince Harry, soo…dreamy. Pap and I were just passing by witnessing numerous helis in the air thinking how great it would be if the helis were performing some sort of an air show. Back to the road trip, the first place we went to was the Gurdwara Sahib. It’s a temple for the Sikhs built in the 1974/75. I had no clue; the Gurdwara was in our itinerary of places to visit. I, who am of mixed parentage, Sikh and Chinese, do not really have much of a clue on how to perform the prayers. Pap really caught me by surprise this time, he yanked out a green ‘chuni’ (Punjabi headscarf worn by Sikh women)from underneath the car seat and instructed me to put it on before I enter the Gurdwara. He demonstrated how to perform the prayer and told me I can do my prayers in English or Chinese as I wish. It was truly a surreal experience for me as it was my first time in a Gurdwara and being 24, some say ‘dontcha think you’re a little too late’ but it’s never too late to officially perform my first prayer in a temple. I just wished I came fully dressed in a Punjabi wear instead of my skinny jeans and indie top. Then again, maybe one day I’ll own a Punjabi dress that comes along with the matching shoes! I wonder what my Chinese mother or my siblings would think about this. They had no clue what went down in Miri. Sat Sri Akaal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment