Saturday, June 6, 2009

Ngirup tuak - Gawai Festival

The smell of Tuak(s) is/are like perfumes, some you love, others are acceptable and some you loathe them! Does Tuak smell like armpits to you? I can bring to mind the smell of Tuak in my shot glass that night. I made sure I was not hallucinating. It seems to me like Tuak is made from rice, stuffed in the armpits while you do some vigorous exercise for many weeks. Mind you, that is just one of the 5/6 senses to deal with; the taste on the other hand is unbearable (for me). Wiki describes Tuak as ‘an alcoholic beverage made of fermented rice, yeast and sugar and drunk in Borneo and East Malaysia. The beverage is a popular drink among the Ibans of Sarawak during the Gawai festivals. The same word is used for other drinks in Indonesia, for example the palm wine of the Batak people of North Sumatra.’
Somehow my description of tuak has upset many indigeneous people and now knows why my write up has been declined by Wikipedia. That night, the wannabe natives and I did our task in the décor department hanging banana leaves around the premises. Celebrated 1st June, known as the harvest festival,we sang, dance and drank just like New Year and Christmas. It was a truly remarkable experience for me.

11 comments:

CK said...

Bahasa Iban Kaban: Ngirup tuak dey..Apoo..Bese bajaku ibai..
jeku ibai jua kaban??
anang mayuh nyirup.. pedis pala legi
Apuuu..Manah pangsiinn..Agi idup agi nglaban parr..
awukkk idop iban paaar.
ulu pulai kebarouh… darah lebuh ke bumi… agi idup agi ngelaban… enti parai nadai ngelaban…
anang jakuk iban nuan.. apooo... agik idup agik nyirup..
idup ngiruppp

vinny said...

that's very explicit description how tuak smells like rice left fermented in the armpit for weeks! i have never taste tuak, and after reading your explosive revelation, my second thought still..what the heck..bring it on! oohhhaaa..

CK said...

Vinny: Yes,try it and fill me in with your thoughts. Where are you from anyway?

vinny said...

i'm from a suburb 20mins away from kuala lumpur. i'm still waiting for reply from one blogger said to have tuak here in west malaysia..looks like i need to cross the sea to taste tuak..

ngiruptuak said...

hey vinny, there is, it's ngiruptuak and it is made in west malaysia. but you have to wait for their brews. it's like monthly ...

CK said...

Vinny: So close to where I stay. My grandparents are in KL and the rest of the other relatives are in Ipoh. I am part Malaysian.

Ngiruptuak: I checked out your blog, very informative. Keep it up. Do get in touch with Vinny with those brews. The wonders of internet. Just amazing how we can place our orders online.

vinny said...

ck: you mean you're not from borneo? i read your work as dj for a station, and i thought it was a station in brunei..lol! well..one day we should hang out for a drink

ngiruptuak: hey, i got your mail! gotta wait till end of the month? noo problem..i'll wait!

CK said...

Vinny: I am from Borneo, Working in Brunei. I go back to see the family once or twice a year, depends. I will shoot you a mail if I do visit KL.

vinny said...

great! btw, i'm contemplating backpacking to the interior of sarawak, living and learning the longhouse community cultures and life during my long weekend break on hari raya.i'm not so keen on tour package,prefer backpack on my own. any idea,which place are backpacker friendly?

vinny said...

i haven't heard from ngiruptuak..it's been over a month.. T T

vinny said...

hi CK, finally i got a sip of tuak, err..more than a sip, i got the whole bottle ;) it taste not that bad..abit fruity, not sweet, but definitely no armpit smell..haha. i heard many story of getting 'senget' next day, but so far it's alright with me. i think it's good brew, some friend told me, if it's bad brew, it taste real wicked.

Post a Comment